Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday

Hey, I was able to get out and work with Raven a little bit today. I have learned that I have to take every chance I get to work with them. It might be only a couple exercises, like backing up or leading by the muzzle, but every little bit helps to make my connection to the horse a little closer. I actually worked on those things to. I keep trying to refine other exercises too, like the lungeing for respect or c pattern or sending. It helps to have a goal of a few things to actually work on to keep you on track. I rode her around the open area at the walk once in each direction and then at the trot on a loose rein 2 x in each direction. She was trotting with a low head carry and a nice cadence. I also worked in a few rollbacks when I changed direction. then at the trot got her nice and soft by doing the bending exercises too. The wonderful thing about all these exercises is they can be incorporated into the ebb and flow of the training time whether in the arena or on the trail. We also did some cantering on loose rein and then collected by the time we were finished it was about 45 minutes and she was huffing pretty good so we went back on the power line and walked it off. It was all good and makes her a better horse and me a better horseman.

No comments: