Saturday, May 29, 2010

Joey Day 5

Kathryn, ask all the questions you want. That is just fine with me. Also, if I don't blog it I write a journal on the training I do anyway to give to the owner. That way they know what I have been doing with their horse. Also, it helps me to stay focused on the details of the training so I stay on track. It also helps me to debrief each session.
So today, we started with a review of all the tasks. We had a break through, YEAH! on his disengagement when at liberty too. Come to find out it was more my positioning then his when I asked for it on his right side. So I learned from him. Really he is coming along nicely as we went through the tasks of flexion, disengagement, backup (which he has made a marked improvement) counterturn (shoulders over). I also did some Jeffries method where I lay on his back bareback to see how he reacts. He did well. So I saddled him, no problem. He stood fine for me even while I made some adjustments. Then I lunged him on a 22' lead to see how he moves with the saddle. He is standing to be flogged now. I also had him do some transitions up and down the gaits. Then I did some of the sending and changing sides exercises or squeeze game. When he settled down and gave me a couple calm movements in both directions we moved on. That was when I bridled him. I don't know if he has had snaffle bit in his wouth. He carried it well, though he has a upper tooth that might bother him. It didn't seem to when the bit was adjusted. I did some flexion with the rein. Then up and down on each side a couple times. He stood fine for me to mount a couple times on each side. Then away we went. We rode for the last 20 min. or so. I had him disengaging, circling and moving forward at a walk and trot, and even a canter in the right lead. Kathryn if you can learn to get your seat and move with him at his gait, you won't want to canter. It is a good ride. I have to learn to move with him better, 'cause he even moves different than my walker. I wish mine moved like him. He was soft and moved off easily. We did a bunch of circles and disengaging before I let him just move forward in a straight line. He seemed relaxed and when we finished he stood and lowered his head for me. I forgot to do some flexion exercises before I got off so I got back on and finished with those. Like I said, he did wonderful today for our first ride together.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

SO GLAD YOU RODE HIM AND FOR YOUR COMMENTS! HE IS PROBABLY HAVING A BALL!! HE IS SO WILLING TO LEARN AND THIS IS SO GOOD FOR HIM !! I WOULD BE PERFECTLY HAPPY NOT TO CANTER, HOWEVER JUDY LOVES TO!! AND WHEN A BUNCH OF US ARE RIDING ON THE BEACH AND THEY ALL TAKE OFF, ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT LET HIM GO TOO. AND ITS ROUGH AND VERY UNCOMFORTABLE, AND SCARY. JUDY AND I WILL HAVE TO WORK ON A SOLUTION== LIKE I'LL RIDE CALI, MY OTHER HORSE, WHO HAS A DELIGHTFUL LOPE.
I AM LEAVING CA EARLY AM, SO WILL BE OUT OF TOUCH FOR A FEW DAYS, UNLESS THE HOTELS HAVE INTERNET HOOKUPS (I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS) BUT WILL LOOK FORWARD TO CATCHING UP ON THE BLOGS. I HATE TO MISS A DAY !!!!
TAKE CARE AND THANK YOU K