Monday, May 24, 2010

Joey is here!

Finally, the day has arrived. I picked up Joey from his home in Glenn around 9am this morning. He came right up to us and let me put the halter on. His boarder said "He thinks he's going to better pasture with his buddies." Well, in a way he is, but it isn't gonna be greener. See the pics of the paddock he is in now. Anyway, we had an uneventful loading experience. He basically walked right into the trailer and away we went. When we arrived I lunged a few minutes to let him move his feet. He was quite beside himself with his new surroundings. Then I took him in his paddock. I was leading him around the perimeter as I do any new horse here and came up with the idea, since he wanted to move so much, I would just direct his feet in what is known to Parelli and Reis people, I think, as the 'sending' and 'squeeze' game. I wanted him to know where the fence was at. So I just sent him in mini circles in one direction as we slowly rolled around the perimeter. Then we went back the other way working the other side. Finally after one time around he relaxed and went between me and the fence at a nice walk. I got to work on backing him, moving his shoulders over as well as getting some good forward motion out of him, all just because I needed to get him familiar with his surroundings. Besides, this was all his idea you know. I usually like to walk them calmly around the fence in both directions 2 or 3 times then let them go. Then I usually let them acclimate to the place for a day before I actually start working him. But he designated it a different way. Besides, I believe my relationship of training began the moment I step in his pasture when I went to pick him up. So we are starting to build a relationship.
Some may wonder why I walk them around the arena fence in both directions. You may be thinking, 'can't they see the fence?' Well, 'Yes' and 'No'. Yes they can see it, although it is an electric wire fence. But no they can't see it if another horse or something else is chasing them and they are in flight mode. They will go right through it. Also, horses are two sided, so I have to lead them on both sides so they see the fence from both sides of their bodies. Thus, I walk them around so they know exactly where the fence is at. It also gives me a chance to build a relationship of leadership with them too.
He is getting to know the other horses with a 8-10 foot alley between them. They can stand in their stalls and see each other and get a little smell to say howdy to one another. But hopefully, they will stay away from each other for the duration and Joey will settle into the routine nicely.
The plan is tomorrow to go in the round pen with a halter and lead and work on pressure and release exercises, some lunging and transitions to gain respect. Can't wait.


Joey, waiting outside his stall.










I think he likes his stall.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, WHEN IS HE DUE TO FOAL???? LOL HE IS SUCH AN EASY KEEPER. I'M SO EXCITED TO READ YOUR COMMENTS AS YOU GET TO KNOW HIM. THIS IS A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE FOR HIM AND I KNOW HE WILL LOVE EVERY MOMENT OF HIS EDUCATION !!! THANK YOU, JEFF!!