Tuesday, September 13, 2011

clinic

Ok, I haven't had time to work my horses since friday and I am itching to get to it. Especially, since I went to a Peter Campbell horsemanship clinic on Saturday. So I will just let you know what I picked up on. First, Peter is a first rate horseman. After 43,000 horses, per his own count, you would think he had picked up on some things. He knows more in one hand than I will ever know.
Second, if  you watch and listen you will gain knowledge, eg. whenever you tip a horses head to the side and he steps his hindquarters over, he will take a step back, naturally. That was huge for me as that is one of the exercises every horseman should know.
Third, I need to take time to help the horse work through his issues rather than give up on him when things get a little dusty. So often people quit when it gets scarey because they don't want to get hurt. I am guilty. However, that is the wrong thing to do. I should simply get his feet moving with direction until he calms down and learns. That might take an hour or two to do. But it will pay dividends. I think that is true with people and kids too.
fourth, I should ride my horse to see what I can do for him, not for what he can do for me. I need to help him through things to expand and better my horse.
fifth, I should not have a conversation with my horse, but a discussion and make sure he understands my point of view. It is not open to his opinion.
sixth, Make sure his feet are between my hands and legs, the rein should be connected to his feet. When I pick up a rein, with one finger it should mean something to him so that he moves his foot where I want it.
seventh, If he has left mentally he has left physically, vice versa.
eigth, he should back up with life in his feet. To get that I step his hindquarters over and step him back and then make him reach further with that front foot.

There was a lot I had reinforced in my tool bag. It was well worth the trip to Big Rapids. Now if I can just get the time to get out there with Raven and Jacob.

No comments: