Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Domino 3

I decided to beat the rain today and work with Domino this morning before I went to the jail. The footing was good in the round pen. So thats what we did for an hour. Now when working in the round pen the idea is not get the horse all sweated up and tired. I wanted to show him that I could move his feet in any direction and work on getting him to walk trot canter by my body position etc. It didn't take all that long to get him to move up and down into these gaits. But then I wanted him to face up to me/give me both eyes. That took a tad longer but when I was done with him he was hooked on to me and following me around. You know what? that made his other moves that much softer. He is feather soft on lateral flexion and disengaging, even his shoulders seemed to unlock better and his back up got better. It is amazing what a little moving of the feet will do to get a horses mind on you instead of other things. Worked on a hour with him on all these things and quit. IT was good. he has a long ways to go, but he is making progress. Now my problem is going to be all this rain. The footing in my paddock and round pen is all mud and slippery. I am praying that it will let up so that I can work with him tomorrow.
Well have a good day and stay dry.

No comments: