Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Haven't been on here in a few days. I had to buy a new computer and have been spending my time getting it set up to my tastes. It's kinda like riding a horse. I don't think I will ever ride another horse, that I am not training of course, that doesn't have an operating system on it. There is nothing like riding, what I call, a push button horse. I don't mean that the horse only goes around on one speed, slow, but that it responds to what I want it to do. That's why I spend so much time putting a foundation on a horse. It takes time on the computer too in order to get it tweaked to my wants. My two horses are really getting soft and responsive to my seat, leg and hands, but they still have alot of 'go' to them. I have been working with them on freedom movement in terms of lunging them without a rd pen. It has been interesting, but they are staying with me. I also have been really desensitizing them, especially Jake. I see it as my job to help them get through their fears. So I have carried around a bag of cans on horseback, after of course they are ok with me putting it all over them on the ground. Also using the whip and cracking it from their back and dragging it behind them. it has been fun. I have missed being out on the trail because of deer season, however, the pen and the field across the street has been getting alot of use of late. The one thing that is working for me is taking the time to work with them, even if it is only when I go up to feed them and asking them to move in certain ways without a lead on them. To me there is nothing like having my horses respond to my requests with the subtlest of cues. If Raven can make Jake stop in his tracks or go in the other direction by a twitch of an ear or slight toss of her head from 50 feet away, that is the kind of communication sensitivity I want with them. And the neat thing is I am getting it. The key? taking the time to work with them almost daily. Now if I could only get the women in my life to respond to the slightest cue, heh! :} I do to her, but I haven't got it with her yet. Hey, I just thought of something. Raven is female and Jake is male. HMM! sounds like the same issue we both have. :}
On another subject, today is thanksgiving so I hope you have a good time with family if you can. Think of seven things you are thankful for and thank God. Thankfulness is an attitude and action that if found throughout Scripture eg. Ps. 50:14, 23; Ps. 69:30; Ps. 95:2; 2 Cor. 4:15; 2 Cor. 9:11,12; Phil. 4:6; Col. 4:2; and finally Revelation 7:12. Now these are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the emphasis the Bible puts on being thankful. Primarily I am thankful that God sent His Son into the world 2,000 years ago to bare my sins in His own body on the tree, 1 Pet. 2. That He loves me despite who I am, Romans 5:8; that He sustains me, Phil. 1:6; that He is always with me, Matt. 28:20; That I have peace with God and access to Him, Romans 5:1,2; that He has given me a good wife, Prov. 18:22; and that He has given me a fantastic family of children and grandchildren, Ps. 127. Those are just a few of the things I am thankful for today. How about you? Oh, and I am thankful for my horses. :}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree in all aspects of your blog. Dad